The mediaeval works of art held by the Skulpturensammlung have been given a new home in the Schloßbergmuseum in Chemnitz. Along with the holdings of the Schloßbergmuseum, the Dresden works are on view in the cloisters and rooms of this former Benedictine monastery.
The ensemble consisting of the monastery and the adjacent to Late Gothic hall church is an ideal setting for the exhibition.
The two historic collections from Dresden and Chemnitz, whose origins can be traced to the date back to the Königlich Sächsischer Altertumsverein (Royal Saxon Antiquities Society) founded in 1825 and to the Verein für Chemnitzer Geschichte (Society for the History of Chemnitz), respectively, complement one another perfectly. During the 19th and early 20th centuries, these organisations collected and exhibited various objects including altars, individual retable figures and devotional images that were no longer in liturgical use in churches.